Turn Your Passion For Service Into a Career
If you’re looking for a rewarding and impactful career, we might have just the place for you here at Rebuild Upstate. Our tight-knit team works together each day to bring life to our mission and foster strong, sustainable communities.
If you’re a self-starter, thrive in a collaborative environment and enjoy solving problems, you’re already off to a great start! Explore our open positions below to apply.
Position Title: Community Engagement Specialist
Status: Full-Time (40 hrs/week)
Location: Greenville, SC
Position Posted: 8/16/19
Who We Are
Rebuild Upstate believes that all people deserve to live in safe, healthy, affordable homes. Thousands of families in our community lack this within their existing home. We seek to repair and rehabilitate these owner-occupied homes to be proper living spaces for the individuals and families – our neighbors.
Through the commitment of 1,489 individual volunteers, we repaired and rehabilitated the homes of 172 families in 2018. In 2018, we anticipate repairing and rehabilitating 178 additional homes in Anderson, Greenville, Oconee, and Pickens Counties of Upstate South Carolina
Repairing and rehabilitating a home often involves a combination of roofing, plumbing, electrical, flooring, and carpentry projects. In addition to repairing the existing home, Rebuild Upstate also ensures that families have safe access in and out of their home through the construction and repair of steps, porches, railings, and wheelchair ramps.
Since our founding in 2006, Rebuild Upstate has grown to include a team of six staff, an AmeriCorps VISTA, and an AmeriCorps member. Our office is located in downtown Greenville, SC, from which we serve four counties.
Whom We Seek
The Community Engagement Specialist is an organized, detail-oriented, hospitable, outgoing, and integral part of our community engagement team. This person ensures that each volunteer has a great experience throughout the onboarding process. Primary responsibilities include recruiting groups, planning successful projects with our project management team, ensuring a quality experience on-site, and completing post-project follow-ups with Rebuild Upstate. This person is responsible for volunteer appreciation campaigns such as the annual Because of You BBQ. The Community Engagement Specialist coordinates Wake Up with Rebuild, our annual awareness breakfast with the assistance of the community engagement team and leadership volunteers. In addition, the Community Engagement Specialist will assist in planning social media content and manage the monthly e-newsletter.
This role will require occasional evening or weekend hours.
Success in this role includes a thorough understanding of the organization’s processes and making sure all volunteer groups have a great volunteer experience. This position will report to Melanie Pozuc, Development Specialist.
A Typical Week in This Role
An ordinary week in this role might include some of these activities:
- Meeting with a new church partner who wants to learn more about volunteer and giving opportunities
- Visiting volunteer groups on worksites and giving a brief overview of the organization
- Training a new corporate volunteer group before they go on-site
- Speaking with a church missions committee about our impact and funding needs
- Having a post-project follow-up phone call with a new group to make sure they had a great experience and address any concerns
- Interview a homeowner about their experience with Rebuild Upstate and write a blog post
- Meeting with the project management team to review upcoming volunteer needs
- Draft social media posts to recognize volunteer groups and spotlight individual volunteers
How to Apply
Rebuild Upstate offers competitive benefits, including vacation leave and a retirement plan match. A full benefits package will be reviewed during the interview process, though we are happy to provide more information upon request.
Our interview process is extensive, typically involving up to four discussions with members of our team. We believe it is important to thoroughly evaluate a candidate’s skills and fit with our culture, as well as allow plenty of opportunities for a candidate to evaluate our culture and expectations. This process moves quickly, though is important to ensure a mutual fit.
To apply, please visit this link to answer a few preliminary questions and provide a cover letter and your resume, which are required to apply for this role. When writing your cover letter, please write it specifically for this position at our organization. Use it to tell us why your skills and experience make you the best candidate for this position. Also tell us why you would be the best person to join our team. We look forward to getting to know you.
Position Title: Home Repair Program Coordinator
Status: Full-Time (40 hrs/week)
Location: Greenville, SC
Salary: $31,000-$35,000/year, based on experience
Overall Nature and Scope of Position
Rebuild Upstate is hiring a self-motivated Home Repair Program Coordinator with experience in construction. This position reports to the Director of Operations. The successful candidate will work directly with clients to ensure that they qualify for available funding, will plan all projects to fall within the applicable guidelines and budget, and contribute to completing said projects. He or she will work with the Engagement Team and Director of Operations to ensure that all aspects of work are appropriately planned and staffed with volunteers, and will lead teams of volunteers in completing the work or complete the work themselves, as needed. When applicable, this individual will work with contractors to get bids and complete projects that are not suitable for volunteer labor. We are looking for a dedicated individual who will fit with our collaborative culture. The job requires some weekend hours and flexibility. If you would enjoy working with a small team of professionals to accomplish the mission of Rebuild Upstate, we encourage you to apply.
Rebuild Upstate repairs the houses of our low-income neighbors to make homes safer, healthier and more livable. We envision an Upstate where everyone has the opportunity to live a life of dignity in a safe home environment in order to maintain and foster strong, sustainable communities.
Project Management & Planning
- Inspect clients homes and identify home repair needs
- Plan how to complete necessary repairs, including takeoffs and task lists
- Oversee purchase and ensure timely delivery of materials and trailers/tools to worksites
- Oversee Worksite Safety and Volunteer Orientation
- Physical labor is required, including cleaning up work sites, loading materials into truck or trailer, or completing projects as needed
- Submit paperwork, as appropriate, to funding agencies
- Coordinate with the engagement team on all volunteer issues
- Facilitate completion of projects by leading groups of volunteers of varying ages and abilities
Documentation & Reporting
- Manage homeowner tracking and project paperwork for assigned projects
- Ensure all volunteer paperwork is completed and documented
- Ensure paperwork is properly entered into databases and stored
- Work as part of a small team to accomplish the mission of Rebuild Upstate
- Keep supervisor informed of all activity, progress, and issues as they arise
- Represent Rebuild Upstate in the community and to specific groups/associations
- Participate in professional development as recommended and provided
Assist in creating funding partnerships with individuals, churches, businesses and other groups in the community
- Other tasks as assigned
- Construction/repair experience
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work and communicate well within a team
- Capable of managing multiple projects at once
- High School Diploma (higher education preferred)
- Experience with excel, word, email (google suites preferred)
- Volunteer management experience preferred
- Experience pulling/backing trailers preferred
- Project planning skills and budgeting skills preferred
Hours & Compensation
- Forty hours per week; specific hours vary
- Weekend work required based on volunteer availability
- Flexible schedule